Colorado Conservation Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. ****This site has moved to http://secoloradobirding.blogspot.com/

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Canon City area birding on 8-20-05
Following are a some more notable birds (those not real common or just migrating through) that I saw while birding yesterday in the Canon City, Colorado area. Many Western Tanagers continue their migration through here. I find a lot of them gorging themselves for their trip on both native and non-native fruits including wild plum and Russian Olive fruit. Wilson Warblers also continue to move in, now including males with the females and immatures that I have seen this past week.

There were 3 Chimney Swifts flying above the Canon City Riverwalk. Though not a common species here, I have seen fewer this summer than in past years. I was able to find 2 Green Herons (considered a rarity along the front range, but they are in any area that is well traveled by many others and not any more disturbable by birders than other users of the area as noted below--so at this point I feel comfortable posting location) on a pond on the Canon City Riverwalk. Sadly as I watched one, I noticed something hit the water. The heron jumped back and emitted a squack. When it happened again I realized there were some teenagers laughing as they apparently had skipped some rocks at the heron and thought it was funny to startle it. They left before I could say anything to them.

I checked out several areas in Florence but it was pretty quiet. I did see a Wild Turkey hen with 8 good sized young. This area is seeing a lot of housing development so there is less habitat for Wild Turkeys. In fact, there is a Great Blue Heron nesting colony in this area that I am concerned will lose their nesting area as someone bought the property next to the heronry and are building on it.

I also found a Forster's Tern in the Canon City area on private property. Though unusual in this area, they are fairly common in other front range Colo areas. Also on private property near Canon City I saw a juvenile Eastern Phoebe whose yellow belly was quite bright (maybe just good sunlight on it or just more yellow than many).

SeEtta


|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com