Colorado Conservation Birding

Birding and discussion: A conservation-oriented birding blog that emphasizes low-impact birding and sustainable birding practices together with the enjoyment of birds. ****This site has moved to http://secoloradobirding.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Birding-a benign recreation?

Certainly when one compares birding to such other recreational choices as ATV, dirt bike and snowmobile riding, it has a much more limited impact on birds, other wildlife, soils, water and ecosystems. I think such comparisons beg the question. And I think that some birders believe that birding is a totally benign recreational choice. I, and many others not only in Colorado but nationwide, would say otherwise.

I love birding-enough that I do it almost every day. But I think it is important to look realistically at both the costs as well as benefits of those activities in which we are involved. And I think that all recreational activities involve some risk of harm for birds, other wildlife and their habitats.

Sadly, it has been my experience that some birders apparently think that birding is somehow sacrosanct and they become offended when it is suggested that some birders might put their recreational pursuit above the welfare of the birds and their habitats. The reality is otherwise and it only does harm to our chosen recreational pursuit to bury our heads in the sand, pretending every birder always follows ABA Code of Birding Ethics perfectly.

Novice birders often violate these ethics unknowingly. And frankly, I think that those of us who are more experienced, and especially the birding organizations, do an injustice to novice birders by not discussing the common pitfalls we all face. I think a good example of that is not in educating novice birders more about how birding can harm nesting birds. Sure, the Code of Birding Ethics states, "Keep well back from nests and nesting colonies. . . ." But what is "well back"? I think that is difficult to describe and varies according to species and other factors. But there are fairly specific warnings that need to be discussed.

I remember when I first began birding, I had no idea that walking up towards a nest could leave a trail for predators to follow. Even if I didn't walk right up to the nest, I probably created scent trails that led near enough to some nesting birds that might have alerted predators to the eggs or nestlings.

Then there is the issue of staying on trails--I suspect a hot subject. I can't think of one birder that I know who I haven't seen stray off of trails or paths to search for birds. I remember when I went on some of my early birding trips after I had gained some birding skills. One of Colorado's most skilled birders led trips that are best described as "hit and run" birding. The whole purpose was to get as many bird species, especially more rare species, as quickly as possible. Tromping through habitat, including important migratory bird habitat, was the norm for this birder. What we as more experienced birders do when we are birding, especially as field trip leaders, teaches more novice birders how to behave.

If you would like to comment, agree or disagree, click on the "comment" button below. It will open a pop-up comment form.

SeEtta

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com